Salads are refreshing and perfect for summer meals, especially when humidity and heat waves make you crave light food. Incorporating chicken and vitamin-rich fruits such as mangoes and apples adds a delicious nutrient boost and will make this salad a favorite. This recipe can easily be personalized to reflect your family’s specific tastes. Try using chicken thighs instead of breasts or substituting spinach or arugula for watercress.
4 boneless chicken breasts, skinned
4 tbsp Carotino oil
6 scallions, sliced
6 cloves garlic, finely sliced
2 medium-sized unripe mangoes
1 medium-sized green apple
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp caster sugar (Note: Make caster sugar at home by putting granulated sugar in a food processor or coffee grinder. Pulse until it reaches a super-fine, but not powdered, consistency.)
1 lime, juiced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1/6 cup fresh mint leaves
1/4 cup watercress leaves
1-2 tbsp roasted peanuts, roughly chopped (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Lightly season the chicken fillet and sauté in two tablespoons of Carotino oil until cooked. Leave to cool.
2. Using a little more Carotino oil, sauté the garlic until golden. Sauté the scallions lightly and mix them in a bowl.
3. Cut the flesh from the mangoes into 1/4 inch thick slices. Halve and deseed the apples, then slice finely.
4. Add to the bowl, along with the fish sauce, sugar and lime juice.
5. Cut the chicken into strips and add to the bowl with the herbs, watercress and two tablespoons of Carotino. Salt and pepper to taste.
6. Mix everything together. Scatter roasted peanuts (optional) over the top and serve.