- 225g/8 oz dried macaroni
- 175g/6.2 oz grated Cheddar cheese
- 100g/3.5oz grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Carotino Oil
- 4 tablespoons of fresh bread crumbs for the topping
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 – 2 shallots or a medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g/17.6 oz canned, chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to season
Heat a tablespoon of Carotino Oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic and shallots/ onion and fry for a couple of minutes before adding the tomatoes, most of the basil and salt and pepper to taste. Cook over a medium heat and stir constantly for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, boil a large pan of salted water and cook the macaroni according to the pack instructions until tender, but still firm or ‘al dente’. (8-10 minutes) Drain well and put on one side.
Mix the grated Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses in bowl and grease an ovenproof dish with a little Carotino Oil. Spoon a third of the tomato sauce into the base of the dish, then cover with a third of the macaroni, then top with a third of the mixed cheeses. Season with salt and pepper then repeat the layering until all the ingredients are used up, ending with a final layer of grated cheese.
Mix the breadcrumbs with the leftover basil and sprinkle evenly over the top. Brush a little Carotino Oil over the top with a pastry brush and then cook in a pre-heated oven (190ºC/374ºF/Gas Mark 5) for around 25 minutes until the topping is golden brown and bubbling. Serve immediately.