- 2 tablespoons Carotino Oil
- 8 chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons of plain flour
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 300ml/10.1 fl. oz chicken stock
- 350g/12.3 oz chopped tomatoes
- 400g/14.1 oz canned red kidney beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- Salt and pepper to season
Mix the flour and chilli powder together in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper to taste. Rinse the chicken in water and roll it in the mixture to coat on all sides. Heat the Carotino oil in a large deep, frying pan and add the coated chicken. Cook at a high heat for around 5 minutes until the chicken is browned all over. Lift the chicken out of the pan and put on one side. Add the garlic, onion and red pepper and cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until they have softened. Add the chicken stock, drained kidney beans and tomato purée to the mixture, stirring well, and return the chicken to the pan – transferring everything to a larger pan if necessary. Reduce the heat and cover, simmering for around 45 minutes until the chicken is tender.
Serve with rice and add the garnish of your choice.