There’s nothing more warming than a bowl of freshly made chilli, but if you’re a vegetarian or even vegan, there’s no need to miss out.
This recipe is packed with nutrients, so why not make extra and freeze it in portions to eat at a later date?
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Carotino Oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 400g/14.1 oz firm toufu (beancurd)
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small can of diced jalapenos, drained
- 1 small can of green chillies, drained
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g/7 oz fresh or frozen sweetcorn
- 100g/3.5 oz roasted cashews
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Fry the onion, pepper, and garlic in the Carotino Oil over medium to high heat until the onions start to soften. Stir in the cumin, chipotle chilli and red pepper flakes. Crumble the tofu into the mixture and fry for a further five minutes. Lower the heat slightly and add all the tomatoes, jalapenos, green chillies, black beans, kidney beans, corn and cashews then mix well. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for around an hour, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper, to taste and serve with rice.